Monday, August 26, 2013

So here it is - the magazine debut I've been waiting for

It's here! The magazine I have waited 2 years for. Quilts and More Fall 2013 with my quilt in it! I found my copies at JoAnn.

"Add It Up" is a jelly roll quilt of my own design. Beautifully quilted by Nancy Troyer, long arm quilter and former Pensacola resident. I am going to have to mail my quilts to Kansas from now on!!!

The magazine chose this name, which is fine. Its part of the process. I originally wanted to call it "Tesla" because of the positive and negative images the blocks create. (I may still call it Tesla when no one is around.) There is probably some copyright issue with that name, so I didn't suggest it to them.

Have you designed a quilt? You can submit your ideas and photos to magazines, you know. You could be published too. Don't be shy! Show the world how creative you are.

I have not decided what to do with this quilt yet. I give away quite a few of my creations, but I think I am definitely hanging on to this one. Who knows? I may be a quilt teacher someday. I'd like to be able to show this one in person.

Not the greatest quilt photography here, but this is another recent creation. It is the first quilt for my new granddaughter, Lily. Most of the fabrics are from the Full Moon Lagoon line, but they blended really well with some leftover Parisville pieces, and some others in my stash. The more, the merrier.

The blocks are based on ones I've seen by Kate Spain and Carrie Nelson. Again, quilted by Nancy Troyer. Who also has a new granddaughter, Grace. I'm waiting to see what she's made for the newest member of her family.

Quilts don't have to have tiny pieces, or complex design. They can be large blocks, one block, two colors only, whatever you want. Step up to your design wall and start making something that YOU like. You never know where it might take you!

3 comments:

quiltzyx said...

WoooOOOoooHOOOooooOOOO!!!

I'm not on the hunt for that magazine. I'm so proud of you!

Sewing Princess said...

Congratulations Wendy! This is really something to be proud of. You are glowing in that picture. Your excitement shows! If I were you i would keep it. I am sure you can be a teacher someday if you wish. I would sign up for a class if only I lived in Pensacola. Maybe you should apply to become a Craftsy teacher so i can follow your class online!

T Holzer said...

Morning! I just read your comment on Carrie Nelson's blog about sprial bounding her book...I've thought that every quilting book should be spiral bound since reading Harriet Hargrave's Heirloom Quilting which was spiral bound. That's the only quilting book I have that is and I don't know why all quilting books arent done this way. Well there's my rant for the day and I'm now going to take a peek at your blog. Thanks and have a great day!