Sunday, July 17, 2011

Keyholes, A Christmas in July quilt

Hello! Wow, July is half over already! I am doing some Christmas in July sewing. Not intentionally, but in working my way through some neglected half done projects (and feeling SO rewarded for finishing them!) I pulled out the 2nd jelly roll of Glace by Three Sisters for Moda, and made the second set of blocks for my Christmas bed quilt.

I started this last year, from the Anka's Treasures book "On a Roll Again." The blocks are 18 1/2 inches! Super easy to make too. I've been stitching these together while I watch episodes of Bones. I doubled the pattern amounts and I need a wide border for it to fit my bed, but isn't it lovely???

It all started with one of those Moda Bake Shop projects. "Off the Grid," which I made from a sale purchase of some Glace honeybun and charm packs. Once I saw what Glace looked like in person, I was in love. (I finished the lap size "Off the Grid" top, but it is in the Waiting to be Quilted stack. When I get the nerve and the time, I will quilt it myself.)

Did you get a chance to own any of it? It is so botanical. The little birds and berries and acorns remind me of Audubon Society drawings, or like those of early explorers who took botanists along to draw new species of plants and animals. Do you know what I mean?

Anyway this line is Christmas-y in its coloring, but not too cutesy. It is classy and feminine. Not too much holiday, just enough. Obviously I love it and will never be tired of putting this out on my California king bed each year!

Are you doing Christmas in July sewing? Knocking out some UFOs? How is it going in your part of the world?

Just a reminder: when you decide to make a pattern, whether from a book or individual pattern purchased, check online to see if there are any corrections. Keyholes ended up requiring more strips than come in one jelly roll (additional fabric cut) to make all the blocks.

2 comments:

Sewing Princess said...

I love this quilt: the color combination and rectangles design are gorgeous. Well done.
I am currently working on a white short sleeved blouse and sewing for my family. It´s been pouring where I live, but at least I went to a BBQ on Saturday. Have a nice week

quiltzyx said...

It looks really nice Wendy - like you said, not too Christmasy, but understated.
I'm working on a Jelly Roll Race quilt for my sister. I had her pick 20 fabrics from my "Fabric Shoppe" room, & cut my own Jelly Roll. Then decided to make a second one for the back, just changed a couple of the fabrics out. Have them all cut, just need to sit down & sew. Also have a kitty doorstop crocheted & waiting to be stuffed & put together for my other sister, or my nephew, or....? LOL