Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Still working on donations for Haiti

No pictures to post today. I am just going to talk about my ongoing project.

http://jmchoul.spaces.live.com/  this is a very worthwhile read. It is from a doctor in Haiti and there are plenty of photographs to show what it is still like there.

I personally don't believe sending money helps. I have read enough blogs and news stories to know that honesty is not common there. Neither are necessities. This particular doctor's blog talks about how impossible it is to even get gasoline from the Dominican Republic when they have cash in hand.  Thieves and gangs take what they can. I have been told that the Red Cross keeps about 85% of donations for "administrative costs." This is from someone who used to work for the Red Cross. Also, there are Haitians that are even robbing the dead for cell phones and jewelry, etc.

I do believe that sending useful items helps in a small way. Maybe these things aren't so tempting for thieves as the bags of food and cash would be. I'd like to think these things will get distributed right away, and not sit under guard by the runway while some stupid politician gets a tour of the area or until NATO (or whoever) decides it can be released.

I hope that you are still thinking about what you can do for Haiti. I am still putting together items for the very large box I will donate. I know I could have sent it by now, but I keep thinking of things to add to it. Maybe some spare cooking utensils and kitchen towels. A cooking pot could fit in there too. And seeds for vegetables and fruits. A second box is going to be necessary before I get to the drop off location, but I am going to get it there by Friday. I promise.

My husband's original leg brace that he wore after surgery is now in the box. It will be a great help to someone tall who is recovering from bad leg injuries. My daughter donated a bunch of baby food. I have made 5 pillowcase dresses and accessories for little girls there. I made a matching headband and a purse to go with a few of them. I have some old nursing scrubs and also fabrics, notions and thread I have put in as well. I have been reading the above blog and there are women using old treadle sewing machines (outside) to make clothing (and items to sell) to feed and clothe their families.

Already in the box are sheets, baby clothes, a small quilt, summer clothing and a few toiletries. All I have to do is drive the box over to a local Baptist church and they will get it there for free. I hope you are able to do the same. :)

Can you imagine having no shelter, other than a tarp? No running water or toilets? Not knowing when you might find food again. Being the only survivor in an entire family? Being a child who no longer has both feet? It is so incredibly sad. No matter how bad off the country was politically or socially, they still could use our help. For the people of Haiti to wish for Papa Doc to be back rather than be neglected as they have been by France, that is terrible, don't you think?

No comments: