Saturday, April 16, 2011

The quilt on my bed

I think we all know why we quilt when something we've made makes us smile - every time we see it. That's how it is with the quilt currently on my bed. Even though it is early Spring, I have bright, lively summer jewel colors brightening my room.

I have yet to make myself a Christmas bed quilt, so the Autumn (Leaving California) quilt is on my bed for much too long,and by the time the New Year comes around, I am ready for a change.
Remember this post?  I was trying to figure out what to do for backing and I never followed up here when I finished the quilt! I ended up using the allover print from the same line and the last two pieces from the panel for the backing. Solid black binding.

This quilt makes me smile every time. The colors are so vivid it is happiness all over. The guitar playing mermaids floating around the border seem to be ready to lull me to sleep.

Just to refresh your memory, Key West Crush is it's name.I made this variation on Bonnie Hunter's "Orange Crush" mystery quilt. It took more than 2 years to make it because half way through I banished it to a box out of frustration. So, when I unboxed it, I was ready and focused to put it together. It just happens that I had pre-ordered an In the Beginning fabric line called Oceanica, and there was EXACTLY enough of the stripe to border the quilt top with the panel pieces as corners! It still amazes me. I literally had one inch of stripe left!

Have you seen "What's On Your Bed?" in other blogs? I'd like to know what is on your bed, if you'd like to share!

2 comments:

quiltzyx said...

It's beautiful Wendy! I love the border print around the outside.

I still haven't finished a quilt to put on my bed...but I have finally STARTED one! It's all batiks, using a charm pack & a jelly roll of all the batiks from Connecting Threads.

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

You did such a beautiful job on this quilt! Thanks for sending me your link...I loved your description of "happiness all over" :cD There is a life lesson in that, isn't there?

Bonnie